The Ultimate Guide to Planning a Canadian Casino Road Trip
If you’ve been thinking about taking a casino road trip in Canada, you’ve come to the right place. In this guide, we’ll give you everything you need to plan a fun and successful road trip that covers vast stretches of Canadian wilderness and casinos. This casino road trip planner will show you why Canada is a great choice for casino fans, give you great options for where to visit, and teach you the key things to consider to make your trip the best it can be.
- Why Choose Canada?
- Planning a Route for Your Canadian Casino Road Trip
- Budgeting for Your Trip
- What to Pack for a Casino Road Trip
- Road Trip Safety Advice
- Hone Your Skills at the Best Online Casinos in Canada
Why Choose Canada?
You may not think of Canada as one of the top gambling destinations in the world, but the truth is that there are few other places in the world that combine natural beauty and world-class casinos so well. Let’s take a closer look at what makes Canada such a great choice for your casino road trip.
Canadian casinos are some of the best in the world
While it may not have the density of venues that Las Vegas or Macau can boast, Canada is home to some of the world’s greatest gaming destinations. Whether you’re looking for luxury resorts or cozy community casinos in out of the way locations, you can find it in Canada.
While many casinos in British Columbia, Ontario, and Montreal are award-winning establishments, the top casino in Canada is likely the Niagara Fallsview Casino. Not only is this the top-rated casino in Canada on TripAdvisor, but the Fallsview has also won numerous awards, including being named the Toronto Sun Readers’ Choice Award as Ontario’s Favourite Casino at least 10 times. Any road trip to the casino can also include viewing the beautiful Niagara Falls as well, a site that no tourist should miss.
Nature in all its glory
Of course, Niagara Falls is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to experiencing Canada’s natural beauty. You might imagine Canada to be a harsh, snow-covered land, but that’s largely only true when that comes to the interior far north of the country.
Much of Canada is covered by beautiful boreal forests, while its western prairie region features rolling plains of farmland and grasslands. The Canadian Rockies offer gorgeous scenic views for travellers, while you can find temperate rainforest in British Columbia. No matter where you drive, you’ll never tire of the endless biodiversity found in Canada.
A tourist’s paradise
Canada features more tourist attractions than any casino road trip planner could fit into one vacation. There’s whale watching on both coasts, the many museums of Toronto, the wineries of Niagara, Banff National Park in the Rocky Mountains, an opportunity to see the Northern Lights in the Northwest Territories, and an easy hike up the Giant Cedars Trail in British Columbia – just to name a few of the many options open to you across the nation.
There are world-class event venues to be found in most parts of Canada as well. From Rogers Center to BC Place and BMO Field, you can watch a variety of sports or check out major concerts across the country. We’ve even compiled a list of Canada’s Most Instagrammable Stadiums if you’re looking for popular places to stop on your casino road trip.
Planning a Route for Your Canadian Casino Road Trip
When dealing with a country as large as Canada, you can’t start a road trip without a plan. That means picking a predetermined route that allows you to see as much of what interests you as possible, while also including several top casinos along the way.
One important idea is to combine stops at casinos with local attractions that reflect your own interests. If you can stay overnight at a favourite resort, you can use that time not only to gamble, but also take in the local culture. You might also find a location that is rich in both points of interest and gaming opportunities to serve as your turnaround point, or your stop point if you want to arrive in one location in Canada but depart in another.
When your journey begins and ends at the same point, it’s important to carefully plan your “turnaround point” – where you’ll relaunch your trip in the opposite direction. Make sure it’s somewhere well-appointed, where you can spend a couple of days if necessary, allowing you to comfortably recharge.
Great Canadian drives
In terms of land area, Canada is the second-largest country in the world. Its vast array of landscapes and open terrain make it a beautiful land, but also one that’s filled with long roads that make for amazing drives.
Whether for all road tours or casino trips, there are a few particularly great roads to consider for your Canadian excursion. Here are three of our favourites.
- Trans-Canada Highway – The Trans-Canada Highway travels though all 10 provinces in Canada, connecting the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. Since it passes near almost everything, there’s lots to see on this route, from Yoho National Park in British Columbia to Niagara Falls and the Joggins Fossil Beds. Casinos right on this route include the Pure Casino Calgary, the Grey Eagle Resort and Casino, and the Century Downs Racetrack and Casino.
- Cabot Trail – The Cabot Trail is a scenic highway that spans Cape Breton Island in Nova Scotia. Visitors can explore the beauty of Cape Breton Highlands National Park, golf at Highlands Links, or hike several accessible trails. Casinos near the Cabot Trail include the Casino Nova Scotia Sydney and the Glace Bay Top Casino.
- Sea to Sky Highway – The Sea to Sky Highway is actually the central section of British Columbia’s Highway 99, and is considered one of the best road trips in the world. This route features scenic views of Horseshoe Bay, Howe Sound, and the North Shore Mountains. There are also many rest areas and viewpoints spread along the route for viewing. Casinos worth visiting near this road include the Parq Vancouver Casino Resort, Chances Casino Squamish and the River Rock Casino Resort, which you can read about in detail in our in-depth review.
Route planning apps
Using a route planning app can help make planning your casino road trip much easier. Here’s a quick look at a few of the most popular apps you can use on your trip.
While modern mapping apps have revolutionised route planning, they are usually extremely limited without connection to the internet. On long journeys, it’s advisable to carry a print-out, or a paper map, too.
Budgeting for Your Trip
Planning for any trip requires making a budget. Of course, when you’re taking a road trip with casino games in mind, there are a few added wrinkles you’ll have to consider. Along with food, lodging, gas, entry fees for tourist attractions, souvenirs and more, you’ll also need to provide for a separate bankroll for casino gaming that doesn’t impact your travel plans.
Still not sure how to budget for your road trip? Here are a few tips to help you figure out how much money you’ll need before heading out.
- Start with a total budget in mind – Rather than start by looking at the activities you want to do and casinos you want to visit, start by deciding how much money you want to spend. You can then build your trip around that budget and find options that work within your means.
- Consider unexpected costs – You may think you can plan your trip down to the penny, but realistically, you will run into situations where you’ll spend money you didn’t anticipate. Whether finding an additional must-see attraction or being hit with tolls or a traffic ticket, having a miscellaneous category in your budget will ensure you can cover most reasonable expenses.
- Decide how you will eat – One of the easiest ways to outspend your budget is by eating out at expensive restaurants for every meal. Figure out how many luxury meals you plan to eat, and how you can save money with prepared foods or cheaper options you’ll find along your route.
What to Pack for a Casino Road Trip
From personal items to must-have documents and useful tools for unexpected circumstances, there’s a lot to consider packing on your casino road trip. Here’s a look at a few of the most important items you’ll want to pack on your road trip to ensure you have a safe, fun, and successful journey.
- Paper maps
- First aid kit
- Phone chargers
- A roll of toilet paper
- Sleeping bag or blankets
- Reusable water bottle
- Snow shovel
- Ziplock plastic bags
- Jumper cables
- Spare tire
Road Trip Safety Advice
A good road trip may take you to out of the way locations and sometimes leave you far from civilization. That’s a thrilling prospect, but it also means that you need to take safety considerations seriously on these trips. Let’s take a look at a few concerns you’ll want to consider on your casino road trip.
First and foremost, it’s important to service your vehicle before you leave on your trip. Since driving will make up most of your travel, your car needs to be in excellent shape before you leave. Be sure your brakes are safe, your battery has plenty of charge, and all of your fluids are topped off before venturing across Canada – or anywhere else.
Most people consider travel insurance only when there’s a risk that a trip may be cancelled entirely. However, these insurance policies have other benefits that are perfect for a long road trip. For instance, many travel insurance plans include help with unexpected medical expenses or car repairs, problems that can ruin any road trip budget.
It’s important to keep an emergency supply kit in your car in case of an unexpected breakdown, or a situation where you’re stuck because of inclement weather. In addition, it’s worth considering investing in a roadside assistance plan if your vehicle doesn’t come with such a service. You should also write down local emergency numbers in case you find yourself in a situation where help is required.
Hone Your Skills at the Best Online Casinos in Canada
We hope our guide has helped you feel more confident about planning a casino road trip in Canada. There are few places in the world more beautiful to visit, and the sheer number of casinos mean you can take in all those incredible vistas while also having fun gambling along the way.
If you’re looking to practice your casino skills before going on your trip, online gambling is a great way to learn new games or refresh your strategies. You can join one of our recommended online casinos to start playing at home today.