Once you’re confident about the game, make sure you check the online poker real money section and pick one of the tailor-made promotions available on our site. By grabbing a casino promotion, you will be able to extend your playtime, improve your strategies, and get better at managing your bankroll.
This article will explore some insights that can improve your performance and bring you better profits.
Let’s find out!
How to start playing free video poker
This is a simple casino game, especially if you have a basic knowledge of poker rules. Follow our step-by-step online guide, and you will be ready to play in no time:
- Choose a game from our list;
- Select your desired coin denomination;
- Start drawing cards by tapping the “Play Max Credits” button;
- Once the cards are shown on the screen, decide which ones you want to hold by touching the card or the “Hold/Cancel” button underneath the card;
- To cancel your hold, tap the “Hold/Cancel” button or touch the card again;
- Press the “Deal” button to save your selection and replace the other cards with new ones;
- If you get a winning hand, you’ll see how much you won in the user interface.
Some free options offer you the possibility to “Gamble” your winnings. Like classic slot machines, you’ll be able to double up that sum a given number of times by guessing the next card’s colour.
Fun Fact: When this type of poker was first introduced in the early 1970s, people were quite hesitant to play them, and they were referred to as “poker slots.” Indeed, this has a lot in common with slot machines since they are easy to use and don’t require interaction with others.
Popular video poker variants
There is a wide selection of free games available at online casinos. Still, after analyzing all of them, we’ve decided that these six titles are the most popular in Canada:
Jacks or Better
This version is the most common one in both land-based and online casinos. The payouts start at the pair of jacks, and it can go up to 9 times the wagered amount for a full house and 6 times the bet for getting a flush.
In this game, the 2s are wildcards, meaning that a flush containing at least one card of 2 will offer you a considerable payout. However, getting a royal flush will pay you better. The Return-to-Player rate in Deuces Wild is set to 100.7%, meaning that you have an advantage over the house when playing with real money.
Similar to Deuces Wild, this uses Jokers as a wild card. Jokers Wild requires you to get a pair of Kings or higher to get a payout, but with an RTP of 100.6%, you have a great chance of landing a winning combination during your gambling session. The deck used in this version of the game consists of 53 cards – a regular deck and a Joker.
If you enjoy multi-tasking, in Triple Play, you can play three hands at a time. Developed by IGT, this game variant comes in different types, including Deuces Wild and Double Bonus.
Double Bonus Poker
In this version, players can unlock two different bonuses, represented by the four of a kind formation.
If you thought Triple Play is complex, in Multi-Play Poker, you could play as many hands as you want. Some options will allow you to deal up to 50 hands at once. Still, it is recommended that you train on demo play until you get used to the gameplay, even if you have prior experience with the game.
Tips: Most video poker free online variants have an RTP higher than 99%. Some versions can even exceed 100% in the full pay version. However, that doesn’t necessarily mean that you shall win every time, at least not in the long run. Therefore, it’s essential to use a strategy and try to focus on short-term profits.
Best free video poker strategies
Despite being considered by many a slot machine, this version does not only rely on luck. After all, the game is based on the rules of Texas Hold’Em, meaning that a random number generator software does not entirely determine the probability of getting a winning hand. Similar to Blackjack, playing this kind of poker allows you to make decisions that can impact the outcome.
Thus, in case you want to get better results, you need to understand the math behind the game. For more information, you can navigate to our video poker strategy section, where we will further explain how to maximize your potential payouts and keep the house edge below 1%.
Now, let’s have a look at a quick strategy that you can use to get better results in Jacks or Better:
- Always hold Royal flush, 4 of a kind, 3 of a kind, straight flush, full house, and two pairs;
- This way, you will optimize your odds for getting a full house or 4 of a kind;
- If you don’t have a paying hand, look for a low pair or straight draws, which will maximize your chances.
Those are the basics of the strategy, but further training is required to properly master this technique and improve your odds in the long run.
Recommendation: While the strategy above is dedicated to free versions of Jacks or Better, studying it might benefit you in other game variants as well. That’s because Jacks or Better is the most common variation you will find online, and it represents the basis of all games.
Top 5 tips and tricks from video poker professionals
After analyzing the gameplay of various pros, we’ve identified five secret tips that they use to beat the casino odds:
- Set a budget and stick to it – bankroll management discipline is crucial for your success with this game, even if you’re playing for free. The advantage of playing with a budget is that it allows you to execute your strategies without spending more than you can afford.
- Avoid wildcard variants – wildcard variants usually attract beginners because they think they have better chances of landing a winning combination. While that is true to some extent, the wild cards will reduce your payouts on bigger hands. We recommend sticking to a simple variant like Jacks or Better.
- Look for machines that have progressive payouts – some versions come with progressive payouts, meaning that the potential profitability increases over time, and the house edge is lowered.
- Always bet the maximum – within your possibilities, we suggest wagering the maximum bet to qualify or the progressive payouts.
- Understand the game’s core mechanics – with so many options available online, beginners might be confused about how the game works. Thus, we recommend paying close attention to the special rules of the version you’re playing before you start wagering.
The benefits of playing free video poker
Based on our experience, in case you are entirely new to casinos, trying to go for the real version without a basic understanding of the game’s mechanics can be a costly mistake. Instead, we suggest starting with the free online versions from our list. This way, you will have time to accommodate the game’s features and test some strategies to see which one suits your playstyle.
Even though you won’t be able to withdraw your winnings, you can try these options, and you will still be gambling. Thus, we recommend gambling responsibly and treating it as a real money version. By doing this, your skills will improve faster, and you’ll be more prepared for the moment when you switch to a gambling platform. Have fun!